The Welsh Ambulance Service has hit its target of reaching 65% of life-threatening incidents in eight minutes.
The figure for October 2013 was 65.2%, the first time the national target has been met since May 2012.
Health Minister Mark Drakeford thanked ambulance and A&E staff for their efforts he said provided "a solid basis" for performance over the winter.
But urgent cancer treatment figures worsened, with 86.8% of cases treated within 62 days, below the 95% target.
It is a decrease from the August figure of 88.6%.
In July, Mr Drakeford told AMs on the health committee that plans were in place to achieve cancer waiting times targets by October.
Those figures will be published next month.
Previous ambulance data from September showed 62.9% of ambulances had arrived on time, which was up 1.1% on August.
Statistics Wales said 70.5% of life threatening calls were responded to within nine minutes, 89.5% within 15 minutes and 95.4% within 20 minutes.
Mr Drakeford said: "I congratulate the ambulance staff for achieving the target and for their ongoing commitment to patients and improvement in delivery.
"However, I must emphasise, as did the McClelland review [of ambulance services], that the eight-minute target itself is only very weakly backed by clinical evidence as a measure of best outcomes for patients."
Mr Drakeford said the Welsh government was working on new ways of measuring performance of various health services, including ambulances, accident and emergency units and cancer treatment.'Admission of failure'
Welsh Liberal Democrat leader Kirsty Williams welcomed the ambulance figures, saying: "It is good to see this target finally being met.
"While the Welsh Labour government's unambitious target is 10% less than in England and Scotland, it is still welcome to see the figures moving in the right direction.
"For too long, the people of Wales have had to put up with the worst ambulance response times on mainland UK."
The Conservatives focused their attention on the worsening cancer figures.
Shadow Health Minister Darren Millar said: "It should come as no surprise to anybody that on the very same day that these cancer targets are published, the Labour health minister has also signalled his intention to scrap them.
"This is a terrible admission of failure."
November 25, 2013 (CHICAGO) (WLS) -- The ABC7 I-Team has learned that another Chicago Fire Department paramedic has been attacked by someone she was trying to help. This latest case resulted in felony charges filed Monday against a DePaul University student.
This is happening at least once a week in Chicago-- paramedics jumped and pummeled--in some cases, by people whose lives they are trying to save. Shortly after an I-Team investigation last month uncovered the growing threat to paramedics, authorities say a DePaul student attacked a female paramedic.
On Monday, fire union officials were at the young man's court appearance to press for felony charges against him, and the I-Team was there.
"I want everyone to know around the entire country to keep your hands off of our paramedics, our fire fighters and our police officers because they are there to help you. They are called to assist you, not to be your personal punching bag," said Tom Ryan, president, Firefighters Local #2.
Chicago paramedic Kelly Begley was dispatched to this DePaul student apartment building on November 1. The call was an intoxicated individual who fell and injured his head.
After Begley arrived, it was her head that was injured, she says, by the student she was called to treat.
According to Cook County prosecutors, Erik Kawar's girlfriend called paramedics when he came home drunk, with a head injury from hitting the pavement. Paramedic Begley testified in a Cook County Court that Kawar swore at her and then hit Begley in the face, giving her a black eye, then pushed her into the wall and fell on her. She ended up transported to Illinois Masonic.
"This to happening repeatedly, since your first story there have been four other cases and that was only a few weeks ago, it's happening on a weekly basis and we are not going to put up with it," said Ryan.
"Our story" is the investigation the I-Team aired on October 2, one month before Begley's alleged assault. We uncovered a growing nationwide problem and disturbing, regular attacks here in Chicago.
On Monday, Kawar was officially charged with a felony and the case will be assigned to a trial judge.
"Is this thing filming?" said Erik Kawar, charged with assaulting paramedic.
"He won't be making any comment," said Adam Grolsch, Kawar's attorney.
"There are very few things you can count on in this world 100%, when you dial 911 we are there every time. And we do not deserve to be assaulted on the scene."
The DePaul student from Naperville is among dozens of defendants in paramedic assault cases being charged now as felonies. The Cook County State's Attorney says the majority of them end in a conviction or a guilty plea. Firefighters' union officials say they think all these cases should be cha